I believe that what I do when I wake up impacts the rest of my day, so I try to have nourishing and affirming mornings (okay, it doesn’t always happen but when it does it’s great!) Having a morning practice may look quite different based on your needs and responsibilities, so it’s important to think about what actions may best serve you so you can mindfully start your day. There may also be certain days when it seems more challenging to have an easeful flow through the day (e.g., Monday mornings).
Take a moment to do a quick journal activity (there’s also a worksheet version you can download):
What comes up for you when you think about each day of the week? Get specific with each day and make note of the following:
- What is one word you associate with each day of the week?
- Which day of the week seems more easeful and relaxed? Can you identify anything specific about that day?
- Which day brings the most tension or stress? Can you identify the stress triggers for that day?
- What would it look like for each day to start with ease and calm?
- Which mindful practice can help you on days that seem most stressful?
Here are a few suggestions you can try to mindfully start your day:
- Write out affirmations so you have words of encouragement and inspiration throughout the day.
- Slowly drink a hot cup of tea/coffee. As you sip, pay attention to what flavors you notice, the texture of the cup, and notice what sensations arise as you swallow the tea/coffee
- When you wake up, take a moment to reflect on gratitude. Make a note of at least 2 sources of gratitude and notice what emotions come up as you make your list
- Name 5 things you can see, 4 things you can touch, 3 things you can hear, 2 things you can smell, and 1 thing you can taste
- Set an intention for your day and give yourself reminders of your intention throughout the day
- Set a timer for 1 minute to focus on deep breathing. Take slow inhales and exhales to help you feel relaxed and calm
What morning practices help you to feel grounded?
What other activities help you to mindfully start the day?