It’s so important to be vigilant of your surroundings and to pay attention to how you and your body respond (or react) to certain spaces, people, or actions. You may not realize it, but your body usually sends signals to let you know how it is perceiving the environment or interactions with others. For example, if you are in a stressful situation you may experience a “gut” feeling, anxiety, or increased heart rate. If you are in a nurturing environment, you may experience a sense of calm, relaxation, or decreased heart rate.
Here are some examples of red flags (signs of danger) and green flags (signs of safety) around you.
A Few Red Flags
- avoidance behaviors
- not using healthy coping skills
- constant irritability
- not setting or maintaining boundaries with others
- feeling overwhelmed when around certain people or in certain places
- lying to others
A Few Green Flags
- practicing healthy coping skills
- practicing self-care
- taking care of your physical and emotional health
- connecting with loved ones
- healthy socialization
- having a positive outlook
- healthy emotion regulation
Were any of these flags new for you?
Which of these flags are you most aware of?
~ Karisse C